SOUTHERN GRAMMAR SCHOOL FOR BOYS PORTSMOUTH 1888-1975
SOUTHERN GRAMMAR SCHOOL FOR BOYS PORTSMOUTH 1888-1975
Just click on any image to enlarge


It is not entirely clear precisely when the original badge was superseded (showing the title Portsmouth Boys Secondary School) - or who redesigned it but it is likely to have been George Downing once again.  Despite the fact that the school was further renamed the Southern Secondary School in 1921 this second badge was retained for another 25 years.

 

The subsequent Southern Grammar badge was designed by art master Mr W. A Jeffries in 1947 and was based upon the Phoenix rising from the flames – the link to the burning of the school in Victoria Road during the Second World War. Mr Jeffries supervised Don Sanders (who entered the school in 1943) in the preparation of the artwork for both printing blocks and badge makers.

The school awarded "colours" for sporting excellence. The insignia consisted of the main part of the badge less the school motto and a strip which signified the particular sport and the year awarded. 

School Badges

The original school badge (Portsmouth County Secondary School) was designed in 1904 by George Downing - a former pupil at the school and latterly a long serving member of staff (see People/Staff section). Its design was, presumably based upon the Portsmouth City crest and its association with the sea and the navy. Shown below is a drawing of the badge by J. M. Clubley.

Original School badge

Second School badge

Southern Grammar School  badge from 1947

Southern Grammar School  colours badge

This page last modified on Friday, January 15, 2010

aaaaaaaaaaaaiii